Vastu Shastra is an ancient way of designing homes to bring comfort and mental peace using five basic elements of nature; i.e earth, water, fire, air and, space. It is widely believed the diverse set of energies can be modified to invite peace, prosperity and, success. The ancient texts of Vastu Shastra explain in detail the principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, and space arrangement. Following the principals of Vastu Shastra is believed to bring love and fulfilment in your homes.
Vastu Shastra is also known as the Science of Dwelling and Science of Architecture believes every living and non-living thing on this cosmos emits energy affecting our lives in one way or the other. Vastu-Shastra, therefore, is the study which provides the norms of placement for everything relative to this earth.
Here are some important guidelines to follow Vastu Shastra.
It is highly recommended to use furniture in a suitable position to ensure the energies flow optimally to provide harmony in the environment. Though furniture adds an important decorating element, keeping furniture like table, chairs, sofa, and other things based on the Vastu principles will benefit the inhabitants of the house.
Location of furniture
- Furniture should be kept in West or South
- Avoid uneven shapes in furnitures such as oval, triangle or circle.
- Square and or rectangle are the best shapes for furniture.
- Keep the positive energy flow without obstruction by keeping a distance of 3 inches between the wall and furniture. Do not keep clutter in your furniture.
- Keep your bed placed in South-west direction.
- Keep dining table in the North-west position of the kitchen or living room.
- Keep study table in East or North.
- Keep the Pooja shelf or cabinet in the northeast part of the room.
Ambience of rooms
Each and every room has eight directions which can be designed in a way following the rules of Vaastu Shastra. While the best location for the kitchen is the South-East corner of any building, due to space constraint, the kitchen can be shifted to the North – West corner of the house and designed as per Vastu. Use light in the rooms to invite positive energies. A diya or a candlelight brings healing energy and good vibrations into your homes. Vastu Shastra lighting can be simple diya or oil based lamp in either sesame oil or ghee.
Colour of rooms
When it comes to colours opt for bright colours. White, yellow, blue and green are best choices as they bring in a peaceful vibe. Use them in a combination or simply on their own to maximize positive energy. Avoid black and red colours in living room wall spaces as they are strong and intense colours.
Windows and doors
Doors and windows are considered to be the most important getaways to energies. It’s crucial to design them in the best way possible to attract good positive energies for harmony and fulfilment. For example, if a window is placed in the wrong direction, it can lead negative energy into your homes causing inhabitants experience bad luck. If the doors and windows are constructed in the right direction, they can bring in a lot of prosperity and luck. Here are a few more information on them.
- Be mindful of cross-ventilation and remember it’s necessary to keep windows and doors opposite to one another to allow more light and air to enter.
- It must be avoided to keep doors at the centre of a wall.
- For making doors and windows, Teak is the best wood and your best option.
- Your windows must be symmetrical and remain proportionate in height.
- There must be absolutely no obstruction, such as plants, Temple, staircases, and the like, in front of the main entrance.
- Organize your space by building sufficient storage and keep it dust free.
Vastu Shastra focuses on clutter free living with airy rooms. As you can see from the post, decorating your homes to attract wealth and luck is not at all difficult, all it takes is some small changes like clean, airy and clutter-free interiors invite positivity and happiness.